Thursday, December 12, 2013

Milestone Mania!

We reached two big milestones: Tommy is walking (well running by this point) and Maggie no longer has training wheels on her bike.  Tommy officially joined the 2-legged club back in October, right before his 13 month birthday.  Fast forward to now and he is fast on his feet.  Loves to run with items in his hands and loves to get chased.  He no longer wants to ride in carts at the store which can be very frustrating for both of us.  He looks like such a little man when he walks.  These video were taken a long time ago when he was first figuring it out.

 
 

I am so proud of Maggie!  I swear I never pushed her to learn to ride at bike a such a young age, just merely gave her the tools to do so and encouraged her to practice.  This spring/summer I bought her a pink strider balance bike.  At first she would ride it in the hallway of our house maybe a couple times a week.  Then she kind of got over it and went back to riding her bike with training wheels.  Sometime mid-late summer she found an interest in her “pink bike” (the strider again) and we started going for real long bike rides but on the balance bike.  So that meant she was pushing and gliding with her little legs for 2 miles.  This fall after moving into our rental house in Hudson we started riding the balance bike to the park almost every day after school.  It was like her balance “clicked” one day and all of a sudden she was pushing and gliding a full city block at a time.  That in itself made me very proud.  Then on December 1st, which happened to be one of the last bearable days before the snow and cold rolled in full time, Maggie woke up, ate breakfast and said to me,  “let’s take the training wheels off my blue bike”.  I have taken the training wheels of several times in the past and it usually lasted for 2 minutes.  So once Tommy went down for a nap we went out and took her training wheels off and I literally held onto her for 3 seconds and she was off and doing it by herself.  I am pretty sure I was screaming.  I was so proud of her.  She instantly had it all figured out.  It took maybe 10 times of going straight up and down the block to get brave enough to try and turn but she eventually did it and it became second nature to her.  That evening we let her ride her bike to the park for the first time ever without training wheels.  Now that the ground is covered with snow, I only hope she doesn’t forget how to do it when spring comes.  Maggie makes us so happy and proud each and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment