On July 4th I was woken up around 5:30 AM by
strong, cramping sensation. Thinking it
was strange but nothing to get alarmed about I went to the bathroom and went
back to sleep. I was then woken up again
by another cramp around 6:30. Again, I got
up and went to the bathroom and was still not at all concerned that it might be
the baby. I did however send an email to
my parents and sisters giving them a heads up in case it progressed and we
needed someone to take the kids that day.
I told them, “I am not telling Susie yet because I don’t think they are
serious and if I tell Susie she wouldn't let us go to the cabin because she would
be worried we wouldn't make it to our hospital.” I was
still 3 weeks from my due date of July 22nd and so what if I had two
pretty strong contractions they were almost an hour apart. We were planning on going to the McNamara family
cabin that day in Cumberland, WI. Since I
was up, I was going to start making tuna salad to bring that day. I had another contraction around the time I woke
Susie up, maybe 7:15. I again tried to assure her nothing was happening and if
it was it was going to be awhile because the contractions were so far apart. She
asked if she had time to go running and I was like “yes, of course”. So Susie took off running and I went
downstairs to think about making tuna salad and start packing stuff for the
kids for the cabin.
--As a side note: the
first thing Susie said when I told her I was having a few contractions—“We are
not going to the cabin, we are not having this baby at Barron County hospital
or any other hospital in northern WI!”
Shortly after Susie took off for her run, the contractions
started to get strong and close together.
I am pretty sure they went from being about 45 minutes apart to 3-4
minutes apart. I was still really calm
at this point. I texted my sister, Kelly, and told her I needed her to come get the kids.
She wrote back and said she was on a 10-mile walk and she wouldn't be
home for a while. I said “no biggie,
just come when you get home.” I tried to
keep packing for Maggie and Tommy but every time I would start to get items to
pack I would have another contraction and forget what I was doing by the time
it passed. I was still home alone at
this point. I called my sister, Jessie
(since she is a nurse I was hoping she could tell me how much time I had or
that they weren't that serious yet :). I had a couple severe contractions while on
the phone with Jessie and she said I should probably go to the hospital. I was telling Jessie how the contractions
were paralyzing and how they felt so much better if I went and sat on the toilet.
She told me to stop sitting on the toilet—I
wasn't thinking clearly at the time, but obviously that was the baby wanting to
come out. I texted Susie and told her to sprint
home. I texted Kelly and told her to
start running home and get over to our house ASAP to get Maggie and Tommy.
I still hadn't showered , brushed my teeth or changed out of
my pajamas—there was no way I was going to the hospital without at least
brushing my teeth and I was still thinking maybe just a quick shower. The problem was I in the kitchen and I needed
to get upstairs to do these things.
Trying to get up the stairs between contractions was an ordeal. I would say at this point I was starting to
get nervous that we weren't going to make it to the hospital and I definitely
wasn't getting a shower. I managed to
brush my teeth and throw on a pair of shorts.
I remember standing in our closet trying to put my shorts on and Maggie coming
in during one of my bad contractions—I didn't want to scare her but I really
wanted to swear, cry and scream all at the sometime. I just remember her asking what was happening
and telling her that the baby was just really excited to be here and wanted to
come out right now. Susie came flying
home and whisked Maggie and Tommy over the neighbor’s house to wait for my
sister to get them.
Susie and I took off in the van. When we left our house I didn't even think we
were going to make it out of our neighborhood.
I really wanted to make it to United so our family doctor could deliver
the baby but that seemed impossible. We
talked about just going to Hudson Hospital…but luckily even through the contractions
I was still thinking clearly enough and said we at least need to make it across
the border to Minnesota so Susie could be on the birth certificate too. So we took off down I94. We made Woodwinds in Woodbury our goal. The whole drive is a blur. I am not even sure if we had the radio
on. All I remember is telling Susie to
call or text my doctor. When we got to
the I94/494 split to go to Woodwinds we saw the mileage sign that said, St.
Paul: 7 miles. I told her I could make
it another 7 minutes and just to go to St. Paul...but to start speeding even
more. Susie said she was going 90
mph. We went through a few red lights (safely)
and arrived at United Hospital.
We pulled into the emergency drop off/valet area. They put me in a wheel chair and pushed me to
labor and delivery. The valet ticket
said 8:48 AM. Once I got to labor and
delivery they quickly admitted me and gave me my wristbands. My official hospital check in time was 8:55
AM. They wheeled me to the room and I was
telling them to call my doctor. I got in
the bed and they checked me and I was a 10.
They quickly grabbed the baby warmer and the emergency ob/gyn doctor,
Dr. Ozel. I was just getting ready to
push when our doctor arrived. Thank
goodness Dr. Montague lives right by the hospital. I pushed once and nothing. The second push, I heard someone say the head
was out. The 3rd push the
baby was out!
I heard Susie asking Dr. Montague if it was a girl or boy. The next thing I heard was the happiest sounding
Susie saying “it’s a boy and he looks just like Tommy!” Teddy Daniel McNamara arrived at 9:12 AM on
the 4thof July. He was 7lb
15oz and 20 ¾” long.
My biggest fear was having another episode of hemorrhaging
like I did after I gave birth to Tommy.
They took a lot of precautions and did a few extra things this time to
try and eliminate or minimize the possibility of it occurring this time
around. Everything seemed to be going good. But a couple hours passed and I was still
bleeding and passing clots. So Dr.
Montague ended up coming back and removing some bigger clots and pieces of the
placenta that were left behind. They
thought that should put an end to the bleeding but a few hours passed and I was
still bleeding. They found a big hematoma
inside and ended up taking me to the OR.
They had to give me a spinal block and went in and cleaned everything
up. So it turned out to be a really long
day. Even though I gave birth at 9:12 AM
we didn't get transferred to our room for the night until 6:00 PM. Susie and I had Cossetta’s to celebrate that night.
Teddy is absolutely
perfect in every way.
Teddy's first few seconds in the world
My first time holding him--at his point he didn't even have a name yet
Getting checked out for the first time
Teddy and Mommy Susie
Teddy's first bath
Teddy getting his footprints done
Mommy Susie and our 4th of July surprise
Since Teddy was born on the 4th he received a special hand-knitted Uncle Sam hat from hospital volunteers
Maggie was so excited to hold Teddy
Tommy didn't know what to think. He was more excited to see his mommies.
Teddy's going home outfit was the same one his Brother Tommy and cousin Cal wore.
First time in his carseat












No comments:
Post a Comment