Thursday, June 20, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly?

We recently had some allergy testing done on Maggie, not because we were worried about her and foods so much but her breathing/cough attacks have gotten much worse lately.  We have had to use her nebulizer all spring and into the summer.  We saw a specialist who suggested a blood draw to check her up against some of the common allergens.  We have known she had some form of nut allergy—she had a reaction to peanut butter when she was about 1.5 years old and I tried to give her a little peanut butter on bread.  She broke out in hives and seemed to have trouble breathing…nothing severe - I say that now but at the time I was thinking of taking her to the emergency room…. :)  Susie and I were hoping she had out grown the peanut allergy or that maybe it wasn’t very strong and that someday Maggie could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or Reese’s peanut butter cup. 

As a side note: Drawing a two vials of blood from a 3 year old was awful and so sad.  Mommies both had tears and so did she.
Well, we got the results and Maggie will have to settle for Almond butter and jelly sandwich and no peanut butter cups…ever.  Her peanut allergy came back greater than 100%--basically higher than the test goes.  The doctor said that a level that high will be a “tattoo” for life.  So that was a bummer but at least everything else is at manageable levels (the other top 3: Soy, Dog dander, and Outside mold).  Most importantly we have a healthy, happy, sweet, beautiful little girl….she will never know what peanut butter tastes like but I wouldn’t trade her for the world.  And Maggie doesn’t seem to mind, she always says “I don’t have nuts, nuts make me sick.” 



Waiting for the Dr. Helm

Sorry, I could get the report picture to turn!
A friendly reminder to family and friends….Maggie has an epi-pen…if for some reason she has a severe reaction make sure you use it and get her to an emergency room. 


We love EVERYTHING about you!


No comments:

Post a Comment